Ronald: Hard work and proactivity give results.

There are no excuses, if you want to learn and are willing to work hard you can improve you quality of live and create a better future for you and your family.

(Español abajo)

Ronald: Hard work and proactivity give results.

I was born in a small village close to Naranjal in Nicoya, they call it The Mountain. When I was six years old I was already working at my father’s farm as coffee bean picker, harvesting corn, rice and beans. I was also milking cows and planting crops.

Then my father created a family company that gave service to other farms, cutting grass by hand with a machete, my brother and I were his workers. It was a very hard job, when I had been working for him for ten years I decided to go to  the capital (San José) on my own. I got a small backpack took my sneakers, two changes of clothing, my guitar and a little money I had saved, and started my adventure.

Mi uncle and cousins lived in San José, they came to pick me up at the bus station, I felt lost. That was around  the year 2000, I had only left town a couple of times before to visit Nicoya. Immediately I started to look for a job in construction, but I was willing to work doing anything. It was not easy, two months went by and no luck.

I lacked many things, even food, there were times that I could only get bread and water. Several times I had to walk from San Miguel in Desamparados to San José down town to look for a job, because I didn’t have any money to pay for the bus ride. We had some relatives in Pavas, they help me get  a job in construction. With my first salary I could bought rice, beans and even chicken. I worked there for almost a year.

As I played the guitar, my cousin invited me to play with them in a serenade they had. He told me to go to the Mussmanni (Bakery) to wait for a guy (Jose) who was going to go with us to Pavas. I waited for him, he had to clean before leaving, but since as it was taking too long I asked if I could help him to finish faster. I left the carts and the trays for bread super clean, then he asked me:

– “Dude, will you like to work at this bakery?”

– “Is it difficult?”

– “No man, I see that you have initiative. I’ll help you”

– ” If you help me of course, construction is very hard”

A few days later Jose told me that his boss was going to give me a chance. I quit construction telling the manager that I thanked him a lot, but that I had another opportunity and that I wanted to improve my situation and learn something new. I thought the position was in cleaning, but it was for production, making bread and about that I knew nothing. I almost lost the opportunity because I was very slow and they needed someone who was fast. I told the boss that I really wanted to work there, asked her to help me; if I had to, I would stay later or arrive earlier.

I started working and after three weeks had already become faster, I knew how to make good bread and very fast. Some time after that my coworker left  and they put me in charge. I worked there for four years. Then a new boss came he was very nice to me, he put me to study and I managed to take two years of night school.

After learning a lot during my time in the capital I returned to Guanacaste, I spent some time living at my father’s house. One day we received the visit of Jairo, who worked at the Hotel Harmony, he told me that there was a vacancy in the hotel kitchen. I decided to come to Nosara to try my luck, I have never been afraid and I have the strength and willingness to work.

I started working washing dishes, the Chef liked the way I worked and several times I won the prize of the best employee of the month. I worked very hard from two in the afternoon until almost eleven at night, I was also an assistant to the cooks and had to bring them ingredients or peel and chop vegetables for them.

Marco (the chef) told me: “I like the way you work and your discipline, I’m going to train you to be the next sushi chef at the Harmony, also your salary is going to be different”. I started preparing all the ingredients in trays, learning how to make the sushi rice, the sauces …  he was very demanding with me and he told me that it was because he wanted me to learn everything right. After some time I had a test, it consisted of making all the sushi from the menu and the hotel managers tried them to value presentation, and my technique.

Marco told me that I had passed the test and that I was doing very well. I felt super happy, like that was a dream; after struggling  washing dishes now was the person in charge of the sushi. If customers did not order sushi I always looked for something to do and help others. I took advantage of participating in all the trainings that we were given at the hotel, I learned from experienced chefs.

During my time as sushi chef of the Harmony I received many compliments and congratulations for my work. Several people told me that I could open my own sushi business and make more money. One day I was told that a lady from Nicoya was looking for someone to make sushi for an event she had, and they recommended me.

That was my first experience working freelance, I have already participated in many private events. My wife and I have been working together for several years now, we make sushi for take away and we also have home delivery. We are working building our own restaurant, we are doing it rustic style, it is nice and open with wooden furniture that I made by hand. Soon we will open and hope many people will visit, you are all invited.

You can call Ronald to ask for sushi at  8405 – 2446. Their fb page is Caballo Chorotega Sushi.

Related Post: Alexander and Juanita: How we started the pipa business.


Ronald: El trabajo duro y la proactividad dan resultados.

Yo nací en un lugarcito muy retirado de Nicoya, cerca de Naranjal, le llaman La Montaña o El Cerro. Como a los seis años ya era un trabajador en la finca de mi papá, trabajaba recolectando café, limpiando maíz, frijoles y arroz. También trabajé un tiempo sembrando y ordeñando vacas.

Luego mi papá hizo una empresa que daba servicios a fincas para chapearlas, los peones de él éramos mi hermano y yo. Era un trabajo muy duro y cuando llevaba como diez años trabajando decidí irme a la capital, San José. Alisté un bolsito pequeño con un par de tenis, dos mudadas, mi guitarra, los pases del bus y un poco de dinero que había ahorrado.

Mi padrino y unos primos vivían en San José, llegaron a recogerme a la parada del bus, yo me sentía como perdido. Eso era como en el año dos mil, yo solo había salido del pueblo unas cuantas veces para ir a Nicoya. Inmediatamente empecé a buscar trabajo en construccción, pero estaba dispuesto a trabajar en lo que fuera. Fue muy duro, pasaron dos meses y no encontraba nada.

Pasé muchas necesidades, no tenía ni para comprar comida, a veces solo comía pan y agua. Varios días tuve que caminar de San Miguel de Desamparados a San José para buscar trabajo, por que no tenía para los pases. Teníamos unos familiares en Pavas y ellos me dieron trabajo en una construcción. Con mi primer salario puede comprar arroz, frijoles y hasta pollo. Trabajé ahí casi un año.

Como yo tocaba la guitarra mi primo me invitó a tocar con ellos en una serenata que tenían. Me dijo que me fuera a la Mussmanni a esperar a un muchacho (José) que iba a ir con nosotros a Pavas. Estuve esperando un rato al muchacho a que limpiara para irnos, pero como tardaba mucho le pregunté si le podía ayudar para que terminara más rápido. Nos pusimos a limpiar, le dejé los carros y las bandejas del pan bien lavadas, bien limpias y él me preguntó:

– “Primo a usted no le gustaría trabajar en panadería?”

– “No es muy difícil?”

– “No hombre, lo veo que usted en bien pellizcado. Yo le ayudo”

– ” Si usted me ayuda a entrar claro, porque viera que duro es la construcción”

Unos días después José me dijo que su jefa me había llamado para una prueba. Renuncié a la construcción diciéndole al encargado que le agradecía mucho pero que me había salido otra oportunidad y que yo quería superarme. Yo pensé que la prueba era para limpieza , pero era para producción haciendo pan y de eso yo no sabía nada. Casi pierdo la prueba porque lo hacía muy lento y ellos ocupaban a alguien que fuera rápido. Le dije a la jefa que yo quería trabajar, que me ayudara, que si era necesario me quedaba más tarde o llegaba más temprano.

Empecé a trabajar y después tres semanas ya le había agarrado el toque, ya sabía hacer pan super bien y rápido. Al tiempo quitaron al otro muchacho y me pusieron de encargado. Trabajé cuatro años ahí. Después cambiaron a la jefa también y llegó un gerente nuevo que se portó muy bien conmigo, me puso a estudiar y logré sacar dos años del colegio por madurez estudiando de noche.

Después de haber aprendido mucho durante mi tiempo en la capital regresé a Guanacaste, estuve un tiempo viviendo en la casa de mi papá. Un día recibimos la visita de Jairo, que trabajaba en el Hotel Harmony, me dijo que había un puesto vacante en la cocina del hotel; decidí venirme a Nosara a probar suerte. Por dicha nunca he tenido miedo y me sobran fuerzas para trabajar.

Empecé trabajando de pilero (lavando platos), al Chef le gustó mi forma de trabajar y varias veces me gané el premio del mejor empleado del mes. Trabajaba muy duro lavando platos de dos de la tarde hasta casi once de la noche, también era asistente de los cocineros y tenía que llevarles ingredientes o pelar y picar verduras y olores.

Marco (el chef) me dijo: “me gusta tu forma de trabajar y tu disciplina, te voy a entrenar para ser el próximo shuchero (persona que prepara sushi)  del Harmony, tu sueldo va a ser otro” Empecé preparando todos los ingredientes en bandejitas, aprendiendo a hacer el arroz especial de sushi, las salsas … todo; él fue muy exigente conmigo y me dijo que era porque quería que yo aprediera todo bien. Tiempo después tuve una prueba, consistía en hacer todos los sushi del menú y que los administradores del hotel los probaran para valorar presentación, el amarre y el corte.

Llegó Marco y me dijo que había pasado la prueba y que lo hacía muy bien. Yo me sentía super feliz, como que eso era un sueño; después de haber estado sufriendo lavando platos ahora era el encargado del sushi. Si los clientes no pedían sushi yo siempre buscaba algo que hacer y ayudar a los demás. Aproveché participando de todas las capacitaciones que nos daban en el hotel, aprendí de chefs con mucha experiencia.

Durante ese tiempo como “sushero” del Harmony recibí muchos halagos y felicitaciones por mi trabajo. Varias personas me dijeron que podría abrir mi propio negocio de sushi y ganar más dinero. Un día me dijeron que una señora de Nicoya estaba buscando a alguien que hiciera sushi para un evento que tenía, y me recomendaron a mí.

Esa fue mi primera experiencia trabajando independiente, ya he participado en muchos eventos privados. Mi esposa y yo hace varios años que trabajamos juntos, hacemos sushi para llevar y también tenemos entrega a domicilio. Estamos trabajando construyendo nuestro propio local, lo estamos haciendo tipo rústico es amplio y abierto con muebles de madera que yo hago a mano. Pronto vamos a abrir, los esperamos.

Pueden contactar a Ronald para pedidos de sushi al 8405 – 2446. La página de fb es Caballo Chorotega Sushi.

Post Relacionado: Alexander and Juanita: Cómo empezamos el negocio de las Pipas


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *